Raquel has been an immigration lawyer in the State of Oregon since 1993. She is a founding partner of Hecht & Norman, LLP with offices in Eugene and Salem. She is a frequent speaker at various professional events, a member of the City of Eugene Police Commission, and an active Rotarian. Raquel’s past activities include: adjunct professor of immigration law at the University of Oregon School of Law, speaker on immigration law, past vice-president of the Lane Arts Council, past board member of the Eugene Research Institute, past Rotary Board member and Chair of the International Youth Exchange Committee, and member of the International Friendship Exchange Committee for the District, past member of the Education and Outreach Committee of the Human Rights Commission, and past member of the Nutrition and Education Committee of the 4J School District. In her free time, Raquel enjoys reading, learning new languages, playing tennis, and spending time with her family.
- University of California, Los Angeles – J.D., May 1993.
- University of California, Los Angeles – M.A. in Latin American Studies, March 1990.
- New York University, New York – B.A. Cum Laude, in Latin American Studies (minor in History), May 1988.
- University of Paris, Sorbonne, France – Diploma in Advanced French Composition, Art History and French History, Summer 1989.
- University of Sao Paulo (Stanford University), Brazil, 1986-1987.
- New York University, Madrid, Spain, January 1986 – June 1986.
- University of Florence, Italy – Diploma in Advanced Italian Language and Composition, Art History, History. August 1985 – December 1985.
- University of Salamanca, Spain – Advanced Spanish Language and History course. Summer 1984.
- Colegio Policursos, Mogi das Cruzes, Brazil - Major in Chemistry 1983-1984.
- Hecht & Norman, LLP Partner/Immigration Attorney, 2006-present.
- Hecht & Smith, LLP Partner/Immigration Attorney, 2000-2006.
- Immigration Attorney, Eugene, Oregon, 1993-2006.
- Adjunct Professor of Immigration Law, University of Oregon School of Law, 2002-2003.
- Jobs Coordinator, Centro LatinoAmericano, Eugene, Oregon, November 1993-February 1994.
- Intern, Chamber of Commerce, Bologna, Italy – Department of Economic Development researching Trade and International law.
- Teaching Assistant at John Hopkins (SAIS) Program, Bologna, Italy – Assistant to Professor Paolo Mengozzi in European Community Law, October-1992 – December 1992.
- Minority Outreach Liaison for Rep. Ron Wyden, Portland, Summer 1992.
- Tour Guide, Los Angeles for Italian, French, Portuguese, Swedish, and Spanish-speakers, March 1990 – October 1990.
- Computer Assistant, Stockholm, Sweden, Summer 1988.
- Staff Organizer for Coalition ’88 – Organized Minority Outreach, San Fernando Valley, California, August 1988 – November 1988.
- English Teacher, Mogi das Cruzes, Brazil, 1983-1984.
- Awarded Women of Distinction Award by the Soroptimist Club of Eugene, 2002.
- Oregon Supreme Court
- Oregon Federal District Court
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
Professional Affiliations and Community Activities:
- American Immigration Lawyers Association
- Oregon State Bar
- City of Eugene Police Commission, Member
- Speaker – NW Immigration Conference, Seattle, WA, March 2015
- Speaker – American Immigration Lawyers Rome District Chapter conference London, England, October 4, 2012
- Speaker – American Immigration Lawyer Association Annual Conference, June 2010
- Speaker – American Immigration Lawyer Association Annual Conference, June 2009
- Frequent speaker at Oregon State Bar programs:
- Lane Country Women’s Lawyers program at the University of Oregon – 2009
- Medford Bar – July 2009
- Panel speaker at numerous University of Oregon events
- Invited speaker at numerous local churches and schools throughout the area
- La X Radio Station in Eugene; Wednesday guest speaker on Immigration Law from 2008-2009; organized other guest speakers including the District Attorney and various Spanish-speaking physicians to give medical advice
- La Pantera Radio Station in Woodburn; Guest Speaker on their community hour once per month
- Pro-bono advisor to school counselors throughout the area in the area of juvenile immigration law and frequent advisor to regional Hispanic programs on immigration law including Acorn Outreach in Corvallis, Hispanic program in Newport, OR
- Legal advisor in Immigration Law to the Programa Hispano in Gresham, Oregon (1994-1996).
- Member of the Education Committee of the Human Rights Commission, Eugene. June 1999-October 2002
- Rotary Board Member, Downtown Eugene Club and Chair of the Rotary High School Youth Exchange Committee 2005-2011
- Fluent: Spanish, English, Portuguese, Italian and French.
- Semi-Fluent: Norwegian, Swedish, German and Japanese.
329 E. 8th Avenue
Eugene, OR 97401